Sunday, May 27, 2012

Media Credentials for the Super Bowl




When thinking about media credentials, I remember hearing stories about how many in the media request passes for various events. I specifically recall seeing how big the media section of the NBA 2012 Orlando All-Star game was. The media took up a huge chunk of the lower bowl. Then, I thought of how many people are around the sidelines of a Super Bowl game. It astounds me that it takes that many members of the “press” to report a game seen by hundreds of millions on live broadcast.

To me, there are two sides to this. First, we have the various leagues and their desire to have as much press discuss this as possible. Filling 10 rows of seats with paying fans is greatly outweighed by the need to have the press give the event tons of attention. Secondly, we have the year 2012 and although there are many more people “reporting” the event, it’s not needed. The reason I say this is because with so much communication capacity now, we don’t need thousands of reporters retelling the same story.

I’ve worked many press events, so I know how it is. Walt Disney World has hired me many times to shoot video at these press events. When a new ride, show or event happens, they invite media from all over the world to cover it. They treat the media very well and have people like me go with the producer so they can get video for their network or station. The biggest network I was sent with was the BBC. We had to shoot a bunch of material at Epcot and I quickly understood how many people would see the footage I was shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment